The Russian Ministry of Education and Science sums up the media activity of Russian universities in July-December 2021. The final M-Rate rating takes into account the effectiveness of the work of 219 universities subordinate to the Ministry with the media (Index Mass Media), social networks (Index Social), and the official website (Index Site).
The final rating reflects the overall result of the work of universities in popularizing Russian science and education. More than 30 experts took part in the development of M-Rate – representatives of universities, media and public organizations, specialists from the fields of media science and sociology.
57 indicators are used to assess the quality of content. Data such as:
- the number of publications and TV spots about the university and its employees in the media, as well as exclusive news on the website and social networks of the Ministry of Education and Science;
- the university has accounts and works in eight social networks (VKontakte, Instagram, Telegram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok, Odnoklassniki, Twitter), as well as traffic brought to the website of the educational institution from social networks;
- the audience of the university website, the time that users spend on it, the number of site visits per month, as well as bounce rates.
For the second half of 2021, the places in the top 20 of the media rating were distributed as follows:
- Ural Federal University
- Russian Economic University. G.V. Plekhanov
- Kazan (Privolzhsky) Federal University
- Moscow State Technical University. N.E. Bauman
- Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia
- Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (State University)
- Far Eastern Federal University
- National Research Tomsk State University
- Siberian Federal University
- Perm State National Research University
- National Research Technological University “MISiS”
- National Research Tomsk Polytechnic University
- St. Petersburg Polytechnic University of Peter the Great
- Moscow Aviation Institute (National Research University)
- South Ural State University (National Research University)
- Belgorod State National Research University
- MIREA – Russian Technological University
- National Research Nizhny Novgorod State University. N.I. Lobachevsky
- National Research Nuclear University “MEPhI”
- National Research University ITMO
It is important that M-RATE creates healthy competition among the press services of universities, which allowed us to bring the work of fellow PR specialists to a qualitatively new level in a short time. This is confirmed by the growth dynamics of the university’s presence in all social networks, the number of subscribers, and views of university accounts.
Over the past six months, Russian universities have created 209 social media accounts, including 61 on TikTok, 50 on Odnoklassniki, 34 on Twitter, and 30 on Telegram. The total number of social media followers increased by 643,058. More than 225,000 users subscribed to university accounts on VKontakte from July to December, nearly 139,000 on TikTok, and more than 125,000 on Instagram.
The number of views on the social networks of universities from July to December last year increased by more than 20 million. In terms of this indicator, university accounts on the VKontakte network are in the first place (+ 9 million), and TikTok is in second place (+8.7 million).